Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Buffalo Chicken Soup.

I have a handful (ok, maybe two handfuls) of food loves in my life. Among pickles, Greek food, and steak, buffalo chicken anything is included in that list. Especially when paired with blue cheese / gorgonzola.
 
 
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Recipe and photo found here.
 
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8-10 oz), cooked and shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon flour
32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
1/3-1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
1/3 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
sliced whole wheat baguettes, toasted with parmesan cheese
sliced green onions, crumbled gorgonzola and cilantro for topping
 
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions with a sprinkle of salt to the pot, stirring to coat, then cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Sprinkle in flour and stir for another 1-2 minutes. Add in stock, buffalo sauce, chicken and grated cheeses, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often.
 
Serve soup and top with toasted baguettes, cilantro, green onions and gorgonzola.
 
*Cameron made a comment that there wasn't enough substance to the soup so I think maybe next time I'll crumble up some tortilla chips and toss those on top. I also didn't make the baquette, so that could be why he said that.

9 comments :

  1. I've made this before too! It's really good, but I'm agreeing with Cameron- it does need a bit more "something" for the soup base. I liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH this looks yummy! I will have to try it. My husband is a soup fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love buffalo anything. I need this in my life. Especially on a nasty day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally making this and substituting tortilla chips for a spoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going on the to-do list for the weekend! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I'm feeling under the weather so that looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in a town with a large Greek population so it is totally one of my guilty pleasures, too!


    Don't forget to enter the giveaway happening at Cotton's Pickins now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! I'll have to make it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete